Accommodating Students with Disabilities in Ohio
In addition to a federal prohibitions under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Ohio law specifically prohibits certain educational institutions from discriminating against students with disabilities inside and outside of the classroom.
Under Ohio Revised Code Section 4112.022, educational institutions are prohibited from discriminating on the basis of disability in the following scenarios:
- In admission to any academic program, course of study, internship, or class offered by the institution;
- In permitting participation in any activity sponsored by the institution;
- In the awarding of financial aid or other benefits available to students;
- In admission or assignment to housing or other facilities owned, operated, or controlled by the institution;
- In awarding grades or granting of certificates, diplomas, or degrees offered by the institution.
If you need help interpreting these disability laws or believe that your rights have been violated, contact Mark Weiker at (614) 519-6918.